Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater (The Raven Cycle)



     Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. 

     Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. 

     Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after....

     
      Stiefvater comes back with the LONG awaited sequel to The Raven Boys and...it fell a little short. Though to be fair, this could be partially my fault. I was expecting a sequel as dynamic, new, and interesting as the first novel was, and I really shouldn't compare two different books...or should I?

     I wanted to love it. I really did. And it started off good. And it ended pretty okay. But that middle, man. That middle killed me. I finished three other books in the time it took me to get through pages 215-335. It just felt like everything that was happening in those pages was, well not filler, but reiterating things we already knew. The most exciting thing that happened was Ronan's dream lessons, and those were relatively low key compared to the opening when Declan gets his shit rocked by the Gray Man, or the terrifying fights with Ronan's nightmare monster things.

     That being said, the beginning and the ending were totally worth over-looking the middle. I have a newfound appreciation for Ronan's character and his background, and his powers are freaking awesome! In the beginning the reader learns a lot of new information very quickly, which is probably why it slows down before the ending (it needs time for that information to sit, saturate, and become useful, I guess). I loved seeing how the characters relationship dynamics had changed and matured, and we got some new characters that I just LOVED. 

     The ending was a little weak in some areas, but definitely strong in action! A dream monster fight in a sky filled with fireworks? Hell yeah! But the Gray Man's personal stand-off was a big underwhelming, especially considering all of the build-up during the book. But what exactly were Adam and Persephone doing? That was weird and confusing. Everything involving Adam in this book was confusing.

Things That I Liked:

  1. The Gray Man; it was funny, I was wary about this new character, I was ready to dislike him and pin him as a villain, but i LOVE him! I hope he sticks around! I want him to be an over-protective father-like figure for Blue, especially while Maura is missing.
  2. Noah!!! His scene with Blue in Monmouth Manufacturing both warmed and broke my heart.
  3. Kavinsky; I know he's bad, but he's SUCH an interesting character, I wanted more! I was kind of hoping he'd be a recurring villain.
  4. Ronan and his dad; what a great relationship.
Things That I Didn't Like:
  1. Adam; Adam was a total turd-face jerk in this book. He was my favorite in the last book, but he just got mean in this one, and I didn't really understand the reason for it all.
  2. Cabeswater magic; where the heck did that stuff go? It seemed like it was doing a whole bunch of cool things every chapter in the first book, then it just disappears? Supposedly this dream-draining magic has been happening for a while, so why is it so prevalant now?
  3. Adam and Gansey; what the heck is going on? These guys are constantly telling themselves that they're like brothers, but then Adam is constantly picking a fight with him. 


Overall Impression:

      This book was definitely different from the first one, and I'm still figuring out if I like it or not. I liked that we spent so much time in Ronan's head, but the Adam-Blue-Gansey drama felt almost forced or inappropriate because we spent so much time outside of their heads. It felt like even the book was tip-toeing around Adam's issues, like it wasn't quite sure what was wrong with him. I enjoyed the new characters that were introduced in this book, and I liked the inclusion of more "realistic" issues, like the car races and the drugs. I was beginning to think the boys were a little too perfect. It was a good read, but just remember to push through those 100 pages in the middle, or you'll be stuck on this book for a while.



The Blonde's Rating: 3.5/5
GoodReads Rating: 4.3/5
Amazon Buyers Rating: 4.5/5

Don't forget to read the review for The Raven Boys.

Thanks,
The Blonde

No comments:

Post a Comment