Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Cinder by Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles)


     Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

     Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. 


     But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

     My first comment is this: why didn't I read this sooner!?

     I've had it for weeks, and I decided to deviate from my TBR list a little bit to push this to the top because Marissa Meyer was coming to town and I wanted to get my copy of the book signed. Halfway through, I was racing out to my local indie bookstore to get Scarlet so I wouldn't have to wait once I was finished. Something tells me the wait between Scarlet  and Cress is going to be unbearable.

      I really liked the way this was done. The elements of the original fairytale are evident in the book, but the setting and characters are so unique, interesting, and different from any other adaptions and recreations of the Cinderella tale that I've ever seen before. 

      I really appreciated the world-building that went on in this book. There was no giant paragraphs trying to describe the NEW WORLD ORDER or describing the "how the world got this way." It was done very naturally; the reader was introduced to new parts of the world as Cinder or Kai was approaching elements that were different than what the reader might have assumed. I loved the whole aspect of "cyborgs as lower class citizens" -it really adds a new dynamic to her relationships with the people around her.

      The Lunars are freaking crazy! I love to hate them, which is totally the whole point to them, I feel, which is great!

      Though I will admit, I TOTALLY called the "secret" ending by page 115. And, once suspecting it, all of the clues just seem like giant neon signs pointing to it until it is finally confirmed. Not that it deterred from the story at all, I just like being right.

Things That I Liked:

  1. Dr. Erland; he's like the greatest loving uncle, or cool grandpa ever. Right from the start I wanted to like him, so I was really glad we got to, but I didn't really see too much of his "going mental" happening in this book. Maybe it's explored more in Scarlet?
  2. Iko; poor little android! I loved her, and it made me so upset that Cinder lost her little partner in crime for so much of the book.
  3. Prince Kai; he had such a sweet personality, and I liked his persistence in pursuing Cinder, and his complete disdain for Levana. He felt like a real guy character.
Things That I Didn't Like:
  1. Adri and Pearl, Levana; I loved to hate this dysfunctional step-family and this stupid, mean, awful queen.


Overall Impression:

     What a cool, unique re-envisioning of this classic fairytale. I cannot wait to see how Cinder gets out of her predicament and continues on with her story in the upcoming books.

The Blonde's Rating: 4.5/5
GoodReads Rating: 4/5 
Amazon Buyer's Ratings: 4.5/5

Stick around for further reviews of The Lunar Chronicles books!

Thanks!
The Blonde

No comments:

Post a Comment